Accessibility View Close toolbar

Why Its Important To Keep Your Pet Away From Antifreeze

dog with veterinarian

Why You Need To Keep Antifreeze Away From Your Pet

Antifreeze is a pet killer. In fact, it is one of the more common causes of lethal poisonings in the Puget Sound area. Ethylene glycol is the active ingredient in antifreeze that is responsible for its reputation as a killer, and it doesn’t take much. Drinking only a small amount of it can be fatal. In addition to antifreeze, ethylene glycol can also be found in some brake and transmission fluids. For this reason, a garage can be a dangerous environment for your pet companion. Although cutaneous (skin) absorption has been reported in cats, the vast majority of poisonings in both dogs and cats is from consumption (drinking). A lethal dose in an 8 pound cat can be as little as a teaspoon. A lethal dose in a 10 pound dog is about 4 teaspoons. So, it doesn’t take much to cause great harm. Antifreeze has a sweet taste that can be appealing to some animals, so don’t leave it out! Proper storage and disposal is of paramount important for prevention of a fatal poisoning. Antifreeze toxicosis if you catch it early enough can be treated and have a positive outcome, but this is a situation where the best treatment is avoidance and prevention.

Contact Us Today

To learn more about why you should keep antifreeze away from your pet or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Affordable Animal Emergency Clinic today at (253) 939-2238. 

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Open 24 hours on ALL Holidays

Regular Hours

Monday:

12:00 am-8:00 am

6:00 pm-11:59 pm

Tuesday:

12:00 am-8:00 am

6:00 pm-11:59 pm

Wednesday:

12:00 am-8:00 am

6:00 pm-11:59 pm

Thursday:

12:00 am-8:00 am

6:00 pm-11:59 pm

Friday:

12:00 am-8:00 am

6:00 pm-11:59 pm

Saturday:

12:00 am-8:00 am

12:00 pm-11:59 pm

Sunday:

12:00 am-12:00 pm

12:01 pm-11:59 pm